Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I made it

Hi guys, well I survived.  I start from the beginning.  We arrived at the hopital at 11:30 am and I got checked in.  Paid my crazy $5000 copay and then was taken back.  I had to pee in a cup the I was taken to my room.  There, I was instructed to take all my clothes off and scrub my whole body down with these wet pad things.  Which, since I just shaved prior, make my skin itch like the devil.
Then they put my IV in.  I've never had anyone get it on the first try, but this lady did.  She even numbed it before hand with was nice.

Then they put some stockings on my legs.

They brought Mike back after that.  We sat there for a long time.  My surgery was scheduled at 1:30pm and my doctor finally showed up around 2.  He came in and asked me some questions and then said it was going to be about another half hour becasue his wife is out of town and he had to run home and walk his dog real quick.  (are you kidding me??)  Then the anesthesiologist came in and asked more questons and then his resident came in and did the same.  Finally about 2:30pm they came in, put some Versed in my IV and off we went.  Once in the OR, I had to get on a different table and they put a mask tight over my face.  I went to sleep after that.  I woke up around 5:30pm in the recovery room.  I was crying and in the worst pain of my life.  I can't even decribe the pain.  It was HORRIBLE.  My port area hurt and my ribs felt like they had been pride apart and my chest/heart hurt and I couln't take a deep breath.  It was awful.  They told me I could stay if I wanted to so they could help control my pain, but I just wanted to go home.  So Mike dressed me and I got one more shot of pain meds in my iv before they took that out.  They wheeled me to the car and we went home.  I was still in crazy pain, to where I just cried and cried and was shaking.  I took some more meds and went to sleep.  Mike got me up a few times and we walked around the house a bit and I'm finally feeling better.  It still hurts like hell to move, but the feeling that my torso is going to explode and I can't breathe, has subsided.  Thank GOD!  I've never been in pain like that before.  I wasn't expecting that at all, since a few friends of mine who have had it told me they didn't hurt at all.  I think they PACKED my abdomen with gas or something because it was unbearable.  I'm so happy it's getting better.

I have cotten mouth like mad.  Mike bought me some apple juice, and that is just heaven.  My throat is sore too.  I'm not noticing any weird feelings with drinking.  I feel just the same as before in that area.

Now that my pain is finally under control, I'm super stoked I got this and everything went well.

Here's my sore sore bloated tummy.

Not quite sure why I have 6 holes but whatever.   I've been having to pee a lot and when I sit down to go, it just trickles out.  I don't know why that is.  Maybe because I'm all tensed up when I sit down or maybe all the gas in my tummy is doing something to my bladder.

Anyway, I'm going to go lay back down.  I just wanted to give you all an update.



Kristen said...

Wow!! That's quite a story! I'm glad the walking helped a bit..that must be some killer gas in there! I hope today is much easier!! Take care!!

Gilly said...

Wow Ashli...that sounds so much worse than my experience. I never even had to take a Tylenol for the pain. The gas is pretty yucky though...get your hubby to whack you on the back a lot...it burps the gas out and it feels a lot better.

Carmen said...

I'm glad the pain is better and more manageable! I was all "tensed up" after surgery, but it goes away after a few days! Take care and go easy! :-)

Jacquie said...

I am so sorry you experienced so much pain Ashli but I'm happy to hear you are feeling better! That was some experience!

Thank you so much for sharing though. I am having mine next Wednesday, 3/24, and hearing all these stories really helps!

Feel better honey!

Jenny said...

Glad you're feeling better!! I'm sure it felt good to be in your own bed rather than the hospital bed. Take it easy.

BTW, I can't believe he left to walk his dog.

Sandy Lee said...

Welcome to the other side. Sorry about your pain, so keep taking those pain meds. The anesthetic and pain meds keep your bladder pretty well shut so just keep drinking and pee'ing and it'll get better. As Gilly said, most of the pain is probably from the gas in your abdomen. I was lucky and didn't have much.

Hope you have a great day. Rest, drink, walk, rest, drink, walk.

Janelle said...

I think I remember the same thing when I had to pee after surgery. They had me on an IV with lots of liquids going in so I had to go a lot, but it did just trickle out the whole time also.

Well, you made it! My experience was rough, too. I had the worst day the day after surgery, though. Anyway, it all gets better with time!! Congratulations!

Stephanie said...

I had the same trickile out pee, the same pains and it will get better. Within 48 hours you will be peeing like normal, but you will feel bloated like nobody's business for almost a week if you are at all like me! The worst is over, but don't overdo it!!

DawnB said...

So sorry you had so much pain :( You will feel better as each day goes by. Welcome to Band Land!

~ Katie ~ said...

Glad the surgery is over and done with. The bladder will get itself back in gear- it has issues with being put to sleep :) Take it from someone who's had 9 surgeries.

I hope the pain gets easier and easier for you.

SUPER BIG HUG for you! :)

Maria said...

I'm so sorry you don't feel so hot, but it all sounds so normal...It does get better and you will be losing in no time! rest up!

amandakiska said...

Welcome to the band club! Feel better soon!

Cathy said...

I loved reading your story and seeing all the pictures. Made me feel like I was right there with you!

I'm glad to hear the pain is getting better. Just make sure to walk, walk, walk. Not only does that help to prevent clots, but it will get rid of the gas quicker. Also make sure to drink plenty of fluids. That will get your bladder moving again.

I'm very happy for you!

Kim said...

Oh Ashli, that sounds so rough! Day 3 was the turning point for me. Hopefully it is for you, too, that's tomorrow, right?

Hang in there, it improves quickly.

Linda said...

Glad you made it Ashli! Sorry you had such pain - it does get better. I had a rough time at first, but by like 3 days after I felt OK.
Take care!

Athena's Melting said...

Welcome to bandland!!

Debi said...

Oh Ashli, I am so sorry that your pain was so bad! Here's lots of hugs for you to feel better soon! In fact, most of us feel better by the 3rd day.

I was one of "those" lucky ones, that didn't have any gas pains, and no itching of the Incisions during the healing phase.

But I did have some pretty severe pain about 2 wks later as I over did it putting up Christmas decorations!